"We give a ___" is one of CamelBak's core company values. (We only have four, and each means something important to us.) This one stems from our belief that doing the right thing isn't just good business sense, but common sense. We pay close attention not only to what we make— but how we make it, for whom we make it and the way it impacts people's lives and the environment.
OUR PARTNERSHIPS MATTER
When choosing suppliers, we seek out long-term business partners who are:
- ISO Certified
- Leaders in advanced manufacturing techniques
- Specialized and highly technical- not commodity suppliers
- Willing to explore and learn with us to discover cost-effective solutions to unique challenges
- Located as close to the point of final destination as possible, lowering financial and environmental transit costs
- Taking meaningful steps to reduce their carbon footprint, including reducing water waste, saving energy, eliminating toxic emissions and putting an end to the use of harmful chemicals
Just as we're committed to our own employees, we also care about the health and well-being of our partners' employees. Our partners must pay a living wage, provide safe working conditions and adhere to all local employment laws. To that end, we post a Code of Conduct in our partners' facilities. The Code includes contact information so that employees can anonymously report rights violations. Additionally, we conduct regular third party compliance audits.
Whenever possible, we work with businesses that are providing employment opportunities to historically under-represented groups, including women-owned, veteran-owned and socially and economically disadvantaged organizations.
IS IT GOOD ENOUGH FOR YOU?
When making our products, we seek out materials that exceed the performance and safety expectations of our diverse users. We test- and retest- at various stages of the manufacturing process to ensure the product (and the materials it's made from) works the way it should in worst case conditions like bone-chilling cold, desert-hot heat, and prolonged exposure to the elements. And of course, it should go without saying that our products meet or exceed FDA and EU regulations.
SMALL STEPS TO ENVIRONMENTAL LEAPS
We think the best way to reduce waste is to create products that last. So our products are meant to be used over and over and over again- standing up to rigorous use before they are eventually recycled or repurposed. But we also think it's important to make small choices that can make a big difference. We've carefully thought about many of the day-to-day "housekeeping" tasks at CamelBak to make sure we are walking the proverbial walk. After all, our company's long-term vision is to eliminate bottled water and the environmental waste it generates. Here are some small steps we've taken about which we feel pretty good:
- Our Petaluma, California headquarters is built to LEED-certification standards
- We've eliminated disposable bottled water at our offices. Perhaps this is not so surprising...
- Our San Diego, California distribution center uses rechargeable, electric equipment to lower CO2 emissions and provide a healthier workplace for our employees
- The dedicated business operations team based in Asia reduces our intercontinental travel
- Our sourcing team works hard to find and develop materials that are more sustainable and biodegradable
- Our bottles are all dishwasher safe. The dishwasher uses half the energy, one-sixth of the water and less soap vs. hand-washing
- CamelBak has a recycling program for paper, plastics and aluminum- and we set our printers to print on both sides of a page whenever possible
- CamelBak's headquarters office is accessible via public transit, and is bike commute-friendly with bike storage facilities, showers and lockers
RECYCLING AND REPURPOSING CAMELBAK PRODUCTS
When it is time to replace your CamelBak product, we recommend that you disassemble the product as fully as possible. Place any plastic components into your curbside recycling. Then, donate any material components (e.g., packs) to Goodwill or other re-use organizations, as they're experts in re-purposing items to keep them out of a landfill.
MORE ABOUT OUR LEED-BUILT HEADQUARTERS
- Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) is an internationally-recognized green building certification system. It provides third-party verification that a building was designed and built in a manner that will promote energy savings, water efficiency, CO2 emissions reduction, improved indoor environmental quality, and stewardship of resources
- LEED is the nationally-accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green work spaces
- Our building is powered by renewable energy sources
- We have low flow faucets, which have lowered our water consumption by 20%
- We've got Energy Star rated appliances
- Our building has plenty of natural lighting, motion activated lighting, utilities that have been programmed for key business hours and a multi-zone HVAC system that's both energy efficient and contributes to a more comfortable climate for our employees
- We used Low VOC paints, FSC certified woods, renewable corkboards and recycled materials. We left exposed support beams, ceilings and floors where appropriate in an effort to reduce the amount of resources used in building out our space
FAIR LABOR ASSOCIATION
CamelBak has partnered with the Fair Labor Association in the United States (“FLA”) and aligned its code with the FLA Code of Conduct and has incorporated the FLA’s tenants. Read our full Code of Conduct.